Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween Desi Style or Olan

Of course we have no Halloween. But we've been here for over a decade and a half, so, really, I'm not sure what 'we' have or what 'we' are. So last year, finally, I gave into the Halloween spirit--no I didn't dress up as Jason or the Scream guy, I carved my first pumpkin. It was quite an event since I had no idea how labor-intensive the process is. This is what the grinning guy looked like:

I know, quite pathetic. But besides that, I'm all for cooking pumpkin, desi style. In the eastern states, pumpkins are sauteed with kaala jeera (काला जीरा) and purple onions as a dry curry with dried red chilies. In southern India, pumpkins are dunked in sambhar or vettal kozhumba quite often. In this country, however, pumpkins are used primarily to scare people and in desserts (interesting combination, huh?)
So, in the holiday spirit, I decided to share a pumpkin recipe, that's neither scary, nor pathetic. Olan--It's from Kerala, a southern state (with a 100% literacy rate--which means, everyone is educated. Now why I had to tell you that, I'm not sure, but I'm filled with facts and info that really have nothing to do with food, and I had to share that with you). Anyway, here it is:
Kerala Olan
Ingredients
3 cups chopped pumpkin, (cubes)
1/2 cup black eyed beans, cooked (or soaked overnight)
1 cup coconut milk
1 large green chilie chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp coconut oil
7-8 curry leaves
1 dry red chilie, for tempering
salt to taste
grapeseed oil for tempering
Recipe
  • Pressure cook the pumpkin cubes with the green chilie, and a little coconut oil with salt
  • Add the beans to the cooked pumpkins, let the water evaporate
  • Add half the coconut milk and simmer
  • In another pan, heat the rest of the coconut oil with grapeseed oil and add the mustard seeds, red chilie, curry leaves
  • Once the mustard seeds start popping add the pumpkin/bean mixture to the oil and cook for 2-4 minutes
  • Adjust the liquid in the olan by reducing the water and adding more coconut milk if need be (the dish should be slightly liquid, like a thick (very thick) soup)
  • Add a dash of coconut oil before serving
  • Serve hot with rice
     The first time I had olan, it was like magic. It's a very simple dish, and yet, tastes fantastic. If you have the energy to chop pumpkins into cubes, you should try to make this dish. It's that good. Really. Till then, happy Halloween, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment