Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Daal Pakoras Before Christmas

Hope you're in the Christmas spirit by now. Am assuming the packing of gifts, the drinking of wine, the eating of chocolates and all things dessert have peaked or close to peaking right about now, huh? This year, it's been quite a mellow holiday season for me, just the way I like it. In case you didn't know, I like boring. Excitement isn't good for the heart, or your stomach. And I live for what I put in my stomach! Anyway, back to food. I thought, how about sharing yet another appetizer recipe, and a quick and easy one at that? In fact, how about using up yesterday's lentils that you don't really want to eat, but can't bear to throw because, hey, it's daal (दाल) and who throws out daal?

     This is what I learnt from my mother. She had innovative ways of fixing fresh meals from leftovers, and she'd tell us, yes, it's a new appetizer. Or she'd say, it's a very popular and well-known dish (she never did clarify where it was popular, and I was too intrigued with the food to care to ask!), and I couldn't wait to eat it. So when I looked in my fridge and found a bowl of day-old lentils, this is what I came up with.
Daal Pakoras with Coriander Chutney 
Serves 2 (two very hungry souls)


 Ingredients
1 cup cooked daal/lentils (use moong, or masoor daal)
1 tbsp whole wheat
2 green chilies, chopped
1 purple onion (medium), diced
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
4 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
2 tsp lime juice (optional)

Recipe
  • Strain the lentils so most of the liquid is separated. Use a sieve if need be.
  • Add the whole wheat to make the mixture thick. Add more if needed.
  • Add half the onion, cumin, coriander, chili powder along with half the green chiles and half the coriander leaves.
  • Mix the ingredients well, and mash the lentils with a spoon while mixing.
  • Make flat round balls of the daal pakora, and place them on a plate
  • Heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet.
  • Saute the daal pakoras, making sure they don't touch.
  • Add more oil if need be, but since you're using a cast-iron skillet, you should need less, that's the idea.
  • Transfer the cooked pakoras to a bowl, sprinkle coriander leaves and green chilies as garnish.
  • Season with pepper (optional)
  • Spice it up with lime juice (optional)
  • Eat with fresh coriander chutney.
     My favorite memory of home has been eating pakoras with a hot cup of tea when it's raining outside and there isn't much to do but eat and make my sister's life hell. I'm not sure what your memories of good times are, but make daal pakoras, and you'll know what I mean when you bite into one.
     Enjoy, and happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment